A customer adds domains to the whitelist, those entries are added to his "own" part of the spamfilter I assume. not to the default list.
When he adds a domain, the filter keeps blocking them, the domains are whitelisted when I add them as Admin.
I've had this issue with the domain , after I added the domain, the issue has been solved.
Now, the customer added the domain , the next day a mail still have been blocked.
The whitelist entry has been added by user, which is a domain administrator. Automatically, all the whitelist entries are from the chosen domain/domain to the domain managed by the user. In this case the Protector doesn't know which domain is managed by this user, because the account name is not in the form of an email address , so it doesn't contain a domain name.
My suggestion is to rename this user to and from this moment on, all the white/blacklist entries will be created "to
somedomain". At the same time it's necessary to change all the current whitelist entries of this account in lists.php